I’m a big believer in positive thinking but it has to come from a healthy place.
You can’t force yourself to be happy and you can’t fake it neither, you’re only going to make yourself ill if you live like this.
You need to be aware of your everyday humany-wumany feelings . You’re allowed to be sad, angry, down, envious, upset. These are normal emotions, sometimes it’s just a matter of feeling them in a less volatile way.
I’m not happy all of the time and anyone that is, is either full of s**t or are being drip fed morphine.
Even the most laid back, chilled out person with their entire world of s**t together is going to be sad, mad or angry about something eventually.
The best way to deal with the ‘bad vibes man’ is to recognise the emotion and deal with it.
Why are you feeling that way? What is it that really that made you angry?
The guy that pulled out on you when you’re already late for work?
Or the box of cereal that you knocked over and spilled the contents of right before you were leaving the house?
These are just triggers, these are the straws that broke the camels back. You’re not really angry about cereal!
These aren’t the root causes of your frustrations. They’re just things you can add to your ‘what’s gone wrong today’ list.
If you’re experiencing loss of some kind or you’re going through a difficult time right now then sad, weepy, down feelings are completely justified and you will go through a grieving process.
However, if you are crying for no reason whilst brushing your teeth then something isn’t right. If there are depression, anxiety or other mental health issues at play here then there are a few things that can help you out through the day. They won’t cure you but they might help alleviate some pressure. Little things that help with the heightened emotions you feel when you are suffering from depression, anxiety etc. When you are dealing with mental health issue, especially anxiety, your emotions are on high alert.
These are just a few things you can check, like I said they won’t cure you but they will help make you feel a bit more human.
- Sleep! Did you get enough sleep last night? Did you wake through the night at all? I know personally that if I wake up through the night I don’t get back in to a proper deep sleep and I usually end up with a headache the next day, which in turn makes me grumpy. I’m tired on top of that which can end up with me being miserable and makes everything seem bad. So make sure you are getting good quality sleep
- Hydrate! When did you last have a glass of water? I tend to have 3 or 4 glasses of water strewn around the house because I carry them around put them down and forget about them but I’m always drinking. If I don’t get enough water, again I end up with a headache, this makes me irritable, I can’t concentrate etc and so on.
- Shower! Yes it might seem like a perfectly normal thing to do for most people but if you’re feeling pretty ‘meh’ then you do tend to neglect your personal hygiene. Having a nice hot shower and washing your hair really does do wonders. Not forever, it’s not magic but it can help you start your day in a better way.
- Food! Eat something! You might not be able to face a meal, I honestly do understand that feeling but just nibble on something, a piece of toast. Preferably something that’s relatively healthy.
- Get out! Being outside is probably the best thing since sliced bread. You need to be getting fresh air on a daily basis. This is maybe easier said than done for some people, especially if you live in the city but there are plenty of parks and open spaces even in cities. Go take some deep breaths and hug a tree 🙂
- Laugh! Find whatever it is that always made you laugh and watch it, read it. Whatever it was, your favourite movie a TV series.
- Treats! When did you lat say ‘You know what? F**k this I’m off to the cinema’? You need time out for yourself. Go for meal, to the cinema, eat a chocolate bar! If money is tight it doesn’t have to be extravagant. Have a bath, take the day off. If money is no object then book a holiday and get away. Just remember to be kind to yourself. You’re doing the best you can 🙂
We’re not going to be around forever, life is too precious to waste. Before you start yelling ‘you effing w**ker’ at that taxi driver (because let’s face it, it’s always a taxi driver) just take a second and think, does shouting at him stop him from being an asshat? No it doesn’t. It’s pointless. Ignore him, smile and wave.
Don’t ever let anyone make you think you’re not good enough.
Follow your dreams right now! Don’t wait until tomorrow,
next week, next year. Stop planning, start doing 🙂
Be happy and keep smiling 😀